The State Library will be closed on August 30, 2017 for staff training. No appointments, online chat, or telephone assistance will be available that day.
Federal Government Resources
Federal Depository Program
The Washington State Library has participated in the Government Printing Office's (GPO) Federal Depository Library Program since its inception over 100 years ago. The State Library was designated as the Regional Depository Library for Washington and Alaska on May 10, 1965. Since that time the library has received most federal publications distributed by GPO through the program. The requirements for the program are in Section 19 of Title 44 of the U.S. Code. The formats distributed through the program include printed reports, microfiche, CD-ROMs, DVDs, and maps. The program also provides access to online publications and services via the Internet.
Washington and Alaska Depository Libraries:
Our Blog Posts
Hidden gems in State Library’s federal collection February 1, 2016
- HealthCare.gov a health insurance exchange website operated under the United States federal government under the provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA, often known as 'Obamacare'), designed to serve the residents of the thirty-six U.S. states that opted not to create their own state exchanges.
- Congress.gov is the official website for U.S. federal legislative information. The site provides access to accurate, timely, and complete legislative information for Members of Congress, legislative agencies, and the public.
- GPO (Government Publishing Office) Mobile Find mobile apps/versions of the current budget of the U.S. Government, the Plum Book (presidential appointments), and presidential documents.
- Historical Topographic Maps High resolution scans of historical USGS topographic maps, some dating as far back as 1884, are now available online from the US Geological Survey (USGS). All scales and editions of US topographic maps are available as a georeferenced digital download or as a printed copy from the USGS Store.
- Digital Topographic Maps Digital maps, arranged in the traditional 7.5-minute quadrangle format, are now available for Washington and other states. Click on "Downoad Maps (map store)" to be taken to a map interface where you can either zoom in to the area you are interested in or do a word search for a particular quad in a state.
Federal Government Resources Online
Search Engines and Portals
- USA.gov Official multi-topic portal to U.S. government information, linking to various federal government agencies and commissions
- FDSYS GPO's Federal Digital System. Provides free online access to official federal government publications.
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP) GPO's finding tool for federal publications
- Documents Data Miner 2 A website for people who work with and manage federal publications
- YouTube USA.gov and U.S. Government Channel Find the latest videos covering government information and hot political topics
- Federal Websites - Native Americans Useful guide to federal resources with information on Native Americans
- Office of the Federal Register Provides access to the official text of federal regulatory material, federal laws, and presidential documents
- GovPulse.us Search and browse Federal Register entries with this user-friendly interface
- MetaLib Retrieve reports, articles, and citations by simultaneously searching across multiple federal government databases
- ScienceCinema Find scientific videos highlighting research and development sponsored by the U.S. Dept. of Energy
- SciTech Connect Portal to free, publicly-available Dept. of Energy-sponsored R&D results from the Office of Scientific and Technical Information's (OSTI) Infomration Bridge and Energy Citations Database.
Government Mashups, Blogs, and Social Networking
Economy and Finance
- Money Matters Federal Trade Commission website that provides links to consumer finance issues for financial educators, students, friends, family, coworkers and neighbors
- One-Stop Economic Resource Center Economic resource links for Washington residents provided by Sen. Patty Murray's office
- Economy Track Use this resource from the Economic Policy Institute to track the recession at national and state levels
More Government Services and Information Resources
- Internal Revenue Service Forms and Publications
- U.S. Tax Code Online Tax Code
- U.S. Government Manual Comprehensive information on the agencies of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches.
- USA.gov Contact information for Congress, Agencies, Commissions and Elected Officials
- MedlinePlus Health information from the National Library of Medicine
- PubMed Access to over 12 million medical citations. Some full text
- GovSpeak A guide to government acronyms & abbreviations of the United States
- Sessions of the Congress of the United States Congressional sessions listed in chronological order
- The National Map USGS source of topographic intermation
- Salmon Recovery Columbia River Basin Federal Caucus information about what the federal agencies and their partners are doing to restore habitat, improve hatcheries, manage predators and improve dam passage for Columbia Basin fish
- Window to My Environment Environmental Protection Agency's federal, state, and local information about environmental conditions and features in an area of your choice
- National Weather Service Weather forecasts for the Western United States
- USAID Online resource for USAID-funded international development documentation
- FedFlix Browseable movies from the federal government with restriction-free use
- Data.gov Searchable database providing a plethora of data sets and tools on many types of information collected by federal agencies
- DisasterAssistance.gov Register here for federal disaster aid and find information about local assistance
- National Mine Map Repository Use this search tool to find maps of abandoned mines at the state or local level
- C-SPAN Find all C-SPAN footage of Congressional and Presidential events from 1987 forward -- television, radio and video
- FedSpending.org View spending data collected from the Federal Procurement Data System for federal contracts, the Federal Assistance Award Data System for federal financial assistance (grants and loans), and other U.S. government sources
- MyMoney.gov Find calculators to figure out out how long it will take to pay off a credit card, estimate your Social Security benefits, and more
- Inflation Calculator Determine how much a dollar in years past - dating back to 1913 - would buy you in today's market
- Cost of Raising a Child Input the age of each child, the region where you live, and how much your family earns to return the estimated cost of raising a child for one year
- Healthfinder.gov Find health information from government and nonprofit sources, including calculators to help with assessing and tracking health and fitness
- My Pyramid Tracker Learn about your diet quality and physical activity status using online assessment tools, including a calorie counter and an energy expenditure calculator
- Health Check Tools Find a variety of calculators, quizzes, and assessment tools presented in an A to Z list of topics
- Energy Calculators Evaluate energy usage for your home, buildings in general, industry, or vehicles
- Home Energy Saver Use your zip code to find a profile of yearly energy costs for an average energy-efficient home in your area or enter in your full address and fill out a questionnaire to calculate your home energy consumption
- Carbon Footprint Calculator Get an estimate of your footprint in three areas: home energy, transportation and waste
- Your Car Find links to a fuel cost calculator, resources about buying a car, alternative fuel vehicles, and strategies for reducing your fuel cost