The State Library will be closed on August 30, 2017 for staff training. No appointments, online chat, or telephone assistance will be available that day.
Teacher-Librarian Common Core Cadre (TLC3)
Following the successful implement of the 4 year initiative Supporting Student Success, the Washington State Library is working with Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and Washington Library Media Association (WLMA) on a new initiative that will support the implementation of Common Core in Washington public schools. While the TLC3 direct trainings will target teacher-librarians, TLC3 resources and professional development tools will be available to all educators and school administrators, public librarians, and communities engaged with Common Core implementation.
Students will be able to independently use their learning to:
- Read and evaluate text in all formats for learning, personal and aesthetic growth and enjoyment.
- Research, analyze, synthesize and evaluate information as critical consumers to draw conclusions and make informed decisions.
- Create, apply and share knowledge effectively using a variety of media formats in an ethical manner to communicate a coherent message.
(Based on Standards for the 21st-Century Learner, American Association of School Librarians, 2007.)
The project goals include:
- The Teacher-Librarian Common Core Cadre (TLC3) Initiative will provide resources and professional development for teacher-librarians to serve as building and district leaders for the successful implementation of Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts (ELA).
- TLC3 training will support reading for information, understanding text complexity, and developing research skills to strengthen student success through school library information and technology programs.
- TLC3 will empower teacher librarians to be key allies in CCSS implementation by providing resources and training opportunities to develop and strengthen school library resources and techniques for supporting teachers and students.
- While the TLC3 direct trainings will target teacher-librarians, TLC3 resources and professional development tools will be available to all educators and school administrators, public librarians, and communities engaged with Common Core implementation.
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
One of the outcomes of the Next Generation Science training has been the lesson planning tips and curriculum ideas which have emerged through the trainings. Explore the tips and ideas provided by NGSS trainings here.
For more information on this project, please contact:
Youth Services Consultant
We encourage your feedback. If you have comments or suggestions, please use our feedback form
Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).